Monday, March 12, 2007

Seller's Remorse?

My husband and I recently sold a condo we owned in Victoria. It was our first piece of real estate we had ever purchased, and we had rented it out off and on over the last year. When it was empty, we enjoyed it as our own personal hotel room in one of our favorite cities. We had, for a long time, hoped to one day pay it off and always have it in the family.

Just after Christmas, we decided to sell it in order to help finance our upgrade to a house here in Vancouver. The decision was sound, and we did everything very logically and were very excited to receive the offer and thrilled when we could agree on a price and terms that suited both us and the buyer. But when Peter Bardon (our fantastic Victoria Realtor) proudly informed us the subjects had been removed and the deal was solid, I suddenly felt an absolutely devastating sense of loss.

Had we made a terrible mistake? The answer is, of course, no.

I think this may have been the first time I have ever felt attached to a home, and granted, it was the first home I have ever purchased. What I have come to realise is that real estate is one of the few possessions we ever have that we develop real feelings for.

While I'd never recommend allowing yourself to be tied to property that will cause stagnation in your financial or personal life - I will recommend you be prepared for these emotions. Remind yourself of all the important and good reasons you decided to sell in the first place, take a deep breath, and get ready to enjoy the next phase of your real estate life.

Take care,
Neacol

No comments: