What Should You Look for in a Realtor(R)?
In my last post I mentioned the even I, a licensed agent, would not sell my own home. I have had a few people ask me since then, how would I then choose a Realtor(R) to sell my home?
There are a several things I look for in another agent. What I want is someone who will do more than the bare minimum, and someone who will use their expertise to sell my home as soon as possible with the best terms and price. Any agent can toss your info on MLS and wait for calls. Furthermore, whatever commission is negotiated, I want to feel like I'm getting my money's worth.
When interviewing a Realtor(R), I highly recommend looking for the following:
A Solid Marketing Plan - So they'll list it on MLS...and then what? I want an agent who will use several methods of marketing. Flyers, personal websites, property signs, and open houses are a few examples of what I would expect from my agent. Also, look at their business cards and ask for samples of their marketing to get an idea of how well they will represent your home.
A Good Reputation - Show me the testimonials. I'm not concerned with the number of sales in the last year, but I do want to know that the services they did provide were so exceptional, that their clients took time out of their lives to write a testimonial.
A Seller's AND Buyer's Agent - Many agents get to the point where they are so busy they hand off buyers to another agent. I want an agent that works closely with both sellers and buyers. Who knows? If they have several buyers already looking for homes such as mine, they might be able to get it sold even faster.
Professional Communication - This is a big one for me, a real deal breaker. I want someone who will return my calls and emails quickly, and just generally keep me informed and up to date on what's happening. A fluency in English is also a must. No matter what language I speak, the language of business in Vancouver is English, and it is so very important they are able to communicate with all potential buyers and agents clearly.
Community Minded - I need to see some community involvement, through charitable contributions or volunteer work. We are blessed to work in such a great industry, and I need to know they are giving something back.
Interpersonal Skills - Finally, it's important to me to actually like and trust the person I'm working with. If I like them, others will too, and I want that kind of person representing me and my home. Knowing they understand what I care about, and that their caring goes beyond the cash value of the sale is a must. Furthermore a calm, positive outlook from my Realtor will help me maintain my composure in stressful dealings.
These are my key factors in finding another agent to sell my home, or someone to refer out of town business too.
As always, please let me know if you have any questions,
All the best,
-N
Wednesday, January 24, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment